1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am currently a project management trainee, which moves around the BAE Systems Maritime - Sumbmarines business unit on a four month placements. This includes carrying out tasks in various areas of project management and picking up key skills in project controls, risk and planning.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
throughout the 3 years on the scheme i have learned and developed both soft behavioural and specific skills to allow me to complete placements to the highest standard.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
i think this is a fantastic programme. it can be very time demanding with doing a Foundation degree on top of the higher apprenticeship, but allows us to learn to cope with many different things and to push ourself further going forward.
4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?
I feel valued to the submarines business unit as they are spending time, and money into our development whilst on the scheme and upon exiting the scheme. however, i do not feel that BAE Systems PLC recognises the Trainee scheme as it is not a corporate scheme so we are not widely recognised for our efforts unlike apprentice and graduate schemes.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
it is down to the individual to compelte the higher apprenticeship. i dont feel i have recieved any support from the training provider.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Employer is very supportive in ensuring we all complete the higher apprenticeship.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
it meets the costs however it is disapointing that Level 3 apprentices are paid more than us.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
yes we get the opportunity to be involved in STRETCH assignments outside of work to develop our PM Competence.
9. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend?
Fantastic opportunities, Long lead projects (Especially in submarines) therefore giving a sense of job security.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems?
Confidence, organisation, and a sense of pride ibn the work you are doing.
More from BAE SystemsMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!