Technical Apprentice at Leonardo

Basildon

Connect with Leonardo

7.6/10

I am a 2nd year technical apprentice. My role involves helping the team I am working with in varying capacities such as problem solving and completing paperwork.

Since beginning my apprenticeship all manual skills such as soldering and machining have improved. My timekeeping, communication and in some situations leadership skills have also improved.

Generally I enjoy the scheme a lot, being part of a team that values your work makes you feel included and that your efforts are worthwhile.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

Within most areas apprentices are valued. In my industrial engineering placement I received a "thank you" award to recognise the hard work I had put in to the area.

The overall programme is well structured, yet flexible to fit the needs of individuals. Sometimes it can be unorganised in placements however this gets fixed soon after starting.

The training provider is generally ok. There have been issues with teaching staff not being there however we are on track to complete our qualifications.

Our manager is generally supportive if there is a desire to go to a new placement or spend longer in another. General members of staff are always willing to help with any problem they can.

My pay package meets my living costs well, however if I could not live with my family whilst on this scheme I would struggle, which could be an issue for some.

There are opportunities outside of work placements, these can include charity events, the gym along with all of its classes and school liaison events.

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

As the opportunities I have had since starting the scheme are far larger than I expected, with the opportunity to travel to Jordan on trial and the products I have got to see in placements it has been very worthwhile.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

My advice would be to research bits about the company but not to recite their website. Try to understand the values and this will go a long way in the interview process.