Technical Apprentice at Leonardo

Edinburgh
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
1st June 2015

Connect with Leonardo

7.2/10

Apprentices cycle through 3 month placements and complete tasks issued to them from engineers within each department. This can vary from writing a report to physically helping an engineer to test pieces of equipment.

I have expanded my general engineering knowledge through the HND course which is incorporated into the programme. I have also expanded my knowledge of my company (Selex-ES) and how the business operates from different perspectives.

The programme is well balanced between theory and practical work so both skills are constantly being developed.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

When apprentices get involved with on going projects in the workplace it feels very worthwhile and satisfying to know a contribution is being made to better the business.

Information is readily available when it is needed and apprentices know who to contact if they have any sort of difficulty with their scheme. There is also good communication between apprentices and managers.

It is a good communication set up with managers. Apprentices always talk with their managers before any decisions are made regarding the scheme.

If there is ever a situation where help is required apprentices know who they can contact.

Manageable. Apprentice salaries do not fluctuate along with the rest of the employees within the business which sometimes makes the salaries seem a little out of date.

There are many opportunities to get involved with charity work and extra curricular activities. I believe an apprentice social committee type set up would be a good idea to get the apprentices together at weekends and help them to bond more as friends.

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

An Apprenticeship is a great way to learn and gain experience of a workplace while becoming more independent with a salary.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

Treat every day like an interview and talk to people. People are always willing to help out.