Apprentice Technician at Arup

Birmingham
20th May 2015

9.8/10

On a day-to-day basis I collaborate with engineers to create technical representations for designs. This is primarily CAD work (including drawing 2D and 3D models) and some calculations for checking.

I have developed my communication skills a lot with the chance to do presentations to a range of audiences. I have also learnt a range of skills using CAD software such as microstation and, most recently, AutoCAD.

I feel this has been a beneficial experience that I enjoy extensively. It has allowed me more independence and boosted my confidence - The balance between working and studying is perfect and I enjoy being able to apply knowledge I have learnt in the classroom.

4. How valued do you feel by Arup?

Arup makes me feel like an important member of the team. I am given praise where it's due and helpful advice for future improvement which suggests development of my career is being valued.

The programme is clear and consistent. We have a Day release for college each week and work in the office for the rest of the week. Every 6-8 weeks we are reviewed to ensure that we are on top of our work. Sometimes college could be a little more organised (Hand in dates etc)

Meetings prior to reviews to ensure that I am on top of my work and discuss any issues with college/work. If any issues arise my mentor supports me in dealing with these issues and suggests the best ways to approach them to make the programme easier.

All issues are dealt with accordingly and work is monitored.

I feel this is paid well for an apprenticeship but could be reviewed compared to other companies

Lots of opportunity to travel, for site visits etc. There is many activities, sports and events to get involved with according to your interests.

9a. Would you recommend Arup to a friend? *

For those that want to be involved in engineering, I feel Arup is most desirable as it consists of strong teams that will support you and help you to develop as a person. It always feels like you can get help from anyone no matter their position or grade.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Arup? *

Have a good background knowledge of what Arup is all about and be yourself.