Electrification Plant Apprentice at Network Rail

Port Talbot

Connect with Network Rail

8.8/10

I’m currently in my second year of my apprenticeship. My discipline is within the Electrification and Plant branch of Network Rail. I’m currently working/training within a plant team. The plant’s team responsibility is to maintain plant assets belonging to Network Rail.

Yes. When I started my apprenticeship with Network Rail, I had no experience working with electricity or working on the railway. Over time I have learned the necessary skills and gained knowledge to carry out what is asked from me. There are still much to learn but I know that I’ll learn it by the time I’ve finished my apprenticeship.

I’ve enjoyed my apprenticeship a lot so far. It’s a great feeling putting skills I’ve learnt to use and making a difference on the railway. It gives me a sense of purpose within work.

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

Over the months of my apprenticeship, the team has gradually given me more and more responsibility to carry out hands on work. I get asked to work overtime as well. This has made my confidence grow and made me feel part of the team.

Very good. Communication between me and Network Rail has been great. If I need to know anything, I just ask. I’m aware of training dates for the next 6 months and I can consult my roster to find out my shift patterns up until December.

A lot. If there was something I was unsure of or if I needed any help there was always someone to ask. I found the training facilities good and the workshops great.

Since starting Network Rail I have found that the admin teams have been great. If I’ve need support with anything they would point me in right direction of the person I needed to speak to. If I need support when working on the job, I feel comfortable to ask for it. There’s always someone at the end of the phone to ask.

For what’s asked of me regarding work and the responsibilities I have been given while on the apprenticeship, the salary is good. The only fault I can bring up about pay is the overtime structure.

Currently undergoing my apprenticeship I have not looked at opportunities outside of work but I am aware there are some.

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

If you’re looking for an apprenticeship which gives you a trade and opportunities, which allows you to learn while you earn, then this is the apprenticeship for you.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

There's alot of hoops to jump through in the form of online exams and interviews when appying, but it's all worth it.