Store Apprentice at Aldi

2011
Thornbury

7.3/10

When I first started the apprenticeship, my job role was largely till work for the majority of a shift alongside stacking shelves, carding and some cleaning. Now I'm in the second year, I'm on the till less and have more responsible jobs like authorising refunds, date check, helping with deliveries and entering wastage onto the computer.

I feel I have grown as a person immensely since joining Aldi. Feel much more at ease interacting with staff and customers and confident in my job role, which has been noted by people around me. I've learnt lots on how to manage people, organise a day's work and the inside track into running a supermarket.

Most of the time I do enjoy working for Aldi, appreciating the fast nature of the job and the people I work with him have been great to me! I do have periods where I feel the work becomes dull and that my high A-Level qualifications are irrelevant.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 2 roles at Aldi

4. How valued do you feel by Aldi?

By my Store managers and other members of staff I feel valued most of the time and am very grateful for the trust and responsbilty shown in me, often going beyond the apprenticeship scheme! From the company as a whole, much less so. I feel the company places my wellbeing secondary to the smooth running of the store and communication on how to manage the apprenticeship is poor (although improved from the first year).

My store knows vaguely what I need to achieve during my apprenticeship and how to carry this out, but organisation and structure is almost nonexistent. My daily tasks or any training seems at the whim of the duty manager rather than any programme (although this does have benefits). Have no complaints with the outside tutors who visit though, always set me enough work to challenge me and get on well with store staff.

Sufficient for me, set me enough work and are there if I have any questions or queries. Never miss a visit.

Often feel I have to motivate myself instead of the other way round. Personal welfare seems secondary to performance, although this is a company wide problem not at store level. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking sick days as the team tend to look down on people for that as it leaves them short-staffed. Likewise with personal problems although other people have received good support so maybe its just me.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 2 roles at Aldi

For me living at home with no rent and a 10 minute walk to work, my wage is fine and in line with friends of my age. Can sometimes rankle I'm paid less than other store members but I'd rather feel valued and have responsibility right now (which is largely true).

My manager is admirably flexible with my hours, normally allocating me 25 hours per week. This allows me more than enough time to complete my apprenticeship work, meet my friends and pursue my own interests. This changes at Christmas or Easter but I'm fine with that.

9a. Would you recommend Aldi to a friend? *

Don't know many people willing to put up with the workload. I found it a culture shock when I joined and considering the high turnover rate, I wouldn't recommend Aldi.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Aldi? *

Get through the first year! I got very frustrated being stuck on till or doing menial jobs, but if you show potential, good work-ethic and an eagerness to learn they will back you during years 2 and 3.