S&T Technician Apprentice at Network Rail

Derby

Connect with Network Rail

My role is to learn about the Signalling and Telecommunications aspect of the Railway in the UK. I work on the infrastructures most advanced equipment, maintaining it so that it doesn't fail and fault finding it when it does to lower the delay time for trains and to overall keep the network running. I've had to complete reports, NVQ's and courses to seal my position within the company, meet deadlines and ascertain high levels of knowledge in the railway to further my career.

Yes, I have developed greater leadership skills, better communcation skills and an overall better attitude towards working and bettering my self and my career.

Very much so, It has opened my eyes to the world of the Railway and how it works and how other countires rely on it as well as our own.

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

Very, in terms of aid and support in my course I feel like the money they have invested in the apprentices is well spent on equipment and teaching that has enabled, what is, a small aspect of the company, to feel integral to the working structure of it all.

Very well organised, the structure has levels of banding which allow people such as apprentices aspire to work up the banding to get a better job.

A lot, in terms of finacial and theroetical aid in both practice in the position and the work load that comes with the scheme.

A lot, my employer has backed me to become a technician within a team and this shows the level of support shown, I will soon become an integral part of a functionin work force and that shows just how highly I rate the support shown to me.

Very well, I moved out in my second year when I came home to my depot and the salary has met my costs exponetially and has allowed me to enjoy my down time when I'm off the job and given me the enthusiasm for when I'm on the job.

Very much so, the world is your oyster!

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

Because it offers people the chance to further themselves ina very shrouded to the public career when it comes to being on-track.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

Be positive, do your research and work hard.