1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Overhead lines apprentice. Maintenance on towers. Work in teams. Look after towers. Learning about procedures. Maintain towers.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Taking city and guilds qualification and learning procedures for the maintenance of towers. All training is in house training.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I love the work that we do and the people that i work with. Everyone is very kind and helpful with anything that you need. I am really enjoying this.
4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?
I feel valued as a member of my team on site but not so much when i am at Eakring learning.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
At the start is was very well structured. However as we got into the program dates were changing and courses were changing and we have had some day with no trainer and nothing to do.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
I receive a lot of support from my team on site and from my trainers.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
my manager at Eakring doesn't give me a lot of support but i don't see them a lot.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
It meets my costs very well at the moment because i am living at home and don't have to pay for a lot of stuff myself.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
There are a lot of activities that national grid have for us to get involved in if we choose to do so.
9. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend?
Because it is a good big company to work for however some of the people at Eakring aren't the most helpful or nice to new apprentices.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid?
Be prepared to work away from home a lot in the first few years. Prepare for people at Eakring not being the nicest to you.
More from National GridMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!