Associate at EY

School Leaver Programme
April 2015

Connect with EY

8.9/10

My current role is an associate within Financial Services. I am currently training to become a Chartered Accountant. My role includes auditing insurance and leasing clients, therefore ensuring their financial statements are complete and correct. My daily tasks vary from day-to-day, on different clients I am given the responsibility of different accounts within the financial statements, I then complete the appropriate work regarding these accounts. I have regular contact with my clients and ensure I keep a good relationship with them all.

As I am currently studying towards my ACA qualification, I have gained numerous skills from attending college and working on-the-job. I also have regular internal training courses relating to both my college work and training for my current job role. My people skills have developed, ensuring I am confident when speaking to the client.

I love the work set for me, and the responsibility I have in my current role. For every client I am presented with a different team of colleagues to work with, therefore I am never working with the same people, and never completing the same work every day. This is very refreshing as I am never bored at work!

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 8 roles at EY

4. How valued do you feel by EY?

I feel that there could be room for improvement on the recognition of the employees, but I do feel valued at work. I have received a few 'impact awards' which show me that my hard work has been recognised. I have been given the opportunity to participate in a secondment to a different department throughout summer to broaden my knowledge of the business.

The introduction and training was very well organised with support readily available. When studying for exams, I feel like there is a lot of support by both EY employees and the college tutors for anything that I do not understand. My departments hierarchy is clearly set out, with many opportunities to take on more responsibility when needed.

I feel that I have a lot of support from my tutor when at college, I can email/call/turn up at college, and they are more than happy to explain any area in which I am struggling. I did enjoy college and enjoyed the areas in which we learned.

Whilst at college I was contacted by members of my department to ensure I was doing ok and that I was understanding every area. For my study period back at work I was also given time off of client work to ensure my studies are done.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 8 roles at EY

As I live at home, the salary meets my costs, although driving to work encounters problems for parking etc, I am also looking to move out soon which I cannot do on the current salary I am on.

Our department set up many socials and I have also joined the netball team within our office. Our office also runs many clubs and classes for sports.

9a. Would you recommend EY to a friend? *

As it is a great company to work for, very fulfilling.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EY? *

I applied for EY very late in the year and had to complete interviews around my A-Level exams, so I would therefore recommend to apply early to secure your place before any exams!