Substation apprentice at National Grid

Romford
28th April 2015

7.6/10

I am a substation apprentice, and my day to day activities greatly vary dependent on where i am and what part of the course i am on. When i am on my location site, i undertake the work activities that my team are currently working on, and at Eakring where we do our studies i will be working towards completing our qualifications for the courses.

As of yet i have not particularly learnt a wide variety of skills as we have not been on the apprenticeship a full yet, but it has gave me the chance to exercise the skill set i have already acquired. The second year i have heard is when we will be learning more about the equipment we will be working on and process that follow the work.

I enjoy my programme alot, i feel that it would be more benificial to have more time to study the equipment and learn the principles related to the substations earlier in the course.

4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?

I feel very valued.

Organisation and structure of the programme i feel is fine.

We only recieve support from our training providers when we are training, during training hours, not when on site.

From the employer we have full support and resources at hand.

I feel the salary is sufficent, and a very good wage to entice younger people.

This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions

9a. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend? *

Because it is a great employer with a varied job role, with plenty of potential and progression.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid? *

To maybe study Maths/Engineering before hand to ease the transition into the apprenticeship, and increase your chance in being hired