Maintenance Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

Wolverhampton
28th April 2015

5.7/10

Support workers on the production line in the production of engine components (cranks,heads,blocks). This involves operating the machines and inspecting the parts, with the occasional maintenance job.

Learn something new everyday, however, as being a maintenance apprentice, maintenance activities are not practised enough. (The EMC is a new factory and the machinery is still under vendor warranty).

I enjoy working in a brand new facility and the people that work here are great people to learn from.

I feel that the company does value its employees, as the environment we work in is very safe. However, training does seem to be sparse and should happen more regularly (especially for apprentices).

The apprenticeship programme I am on was very structured in the first year (at college), however, currently on the second year I feel there is still a great deal to learn, and the learning opportunities are few and far between, again because of the infancy of the new factory.

We have an on site apprentice manager This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions who works for EEF (training provider), who is a massive help to us, and can help sort any problems we have.

I do receive support from JLR for any problems I have, apart from apprenticeship problems, in which have to be addressed by the apprentice team. We very rarely see or hear from them, which can be frustrating when trying to sort out minor problems such as overtime/pay issues.

The pay on the apprenticeship is excellent. I manage to fund mortgage payments and a new car and still have lots left over.

Even though it pays very well, I think that the learning opportunities for an apprentice are not good enough here, as I sometimes feel that I am missing a lot of basic knowledge and can sometimes feel unsafe/unconfident.

Make the most out of the learning at college, as it may be all you get!