Control Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Birmingham
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
28th April 2015

8.2/10

I am a second year higher apprentice, training to be a control engineer. I am currently based in the new block where the new XF will be built. My main roles at the moment revolve around learning about the new technologies that are being used in the block. When it is running, the controls team will provide tech support for the lineside maintenance. To go with this practical learning, I am studying for a foundation degree at Warwickshire college, which will then lead onto a full degree at the university of Warwick. The college time is spent on a day release basis, with the rest of the week being spent in plant.

I have learnt a lot about how to be a control engineer, both academically and practically. I have been on several training courses for Rockwell PLCs, ABB robots and even a Trumpf Laser Brazing course in Germany. As well as this, I have developed greatly as a working person sine leaving school and working in a factory environment.

I have greatly enjoyed the program. I have benefited from being placed in a very helpful and welcoming team while at the same time facing plenty of challenges from the the new block. My salary is fantastic and the company is doing well.

I feel that I have a genuine place in JLR. I have been given jobs to do where I can stretch myself and achieve goals set by my superiors. I feel confident that there is a good job for me when I complete my apprenticeship.

Everything has been organised fine. I have known where I have to be and at what time I have to be there. There have been times where communications between the apprentice team in college and my department could have communicated more, but this was only on few isolated occasions.

I have received plenty of support towards my qualifications, evident in the fact that I am yet to fail a subject.

I have had plenty of help learning on the job, whether it be shadowing, asking questions or pushing in the right direction.

Very well indeed. Being paid to get a free degree is all right in my books !

There are not very many opportunities for me as I live quite a distance away, but the offers are there.

Very good apprenticeship, good salary, paid for degree at Warwick and a secure future.

Stand out from the crowd, over 7000 people applied this year, so you will have to be a good candidate.