1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
- Take on cases daily and work with customers to troubleshoot and solve complex technical/programming problems.
- Take part in extra projects that require technical skill
- Take part in internal triages to discuss cases and better our knowledge on subject matter
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Since starting the apprenticeship, I have been exposed to endless learning opportunities within the company as a whole, and I have also been exposed to a whole new world of programming that I did not think I would be able to follow. Thanks to my extraordinary colleagues they have been patient and helped me step through the portal to the lower-level programming dimension. Coming into the apprenticeship I had only knowledge about web-based application development, now I know enough to make native windows applications and even troubleshoot and solve complex problems from other companies that develop their own complex solutions. There is no way I would have learned most of this real world development stuff in school.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The culture is laid back and really relaxed, everyone in the company is more than willing to talk to you and help where they can - everyone is only a coffee away! I do enjoy my role as a reactive engineer, even though admittedly I was looking to do more application development side things. Thankfully I an still able to do this as side projects.
4. How valued do you feel by Microsoft?
As I am still learning the processes and even though I have come a long way from being a lowly web developer, I still have many a ways to go to come close to my colleagues. That being said, I am still able to make valuable contributions to the company by getting involved in extra projects and contributing work to my team.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The program is well structured as there is an induction period, there is external training to attend, constant support and constant mentoring.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
My training has been utterly excellent as I like to learn programming hands on, and the training does just that. They combined the perfect mix of hands-on-trial-and-error and textbook learning in a way my school was lacking.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
My manager and my colleagues show me constant support.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
The salary is quite good at satisfying my living costs.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
There are endless projects or events in the company to get involved in at any time.
9a. Would you recommend Microsoft to a friend? *
9b. Why? *
The opportunity is excellent, and the reputation you gain is even more so!
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Microsoft? *
Be yourself, and do not be afraid of seeming small, everyone at Microsoft is constantly learning as you have to be when you are in the tech industry.
More from MicrosoftMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!