ETAM Substation Apprentice at National Grid

Newport
22nd April 2015

7.6/10

I am a ETAM substation apprentice, this involves completing a level 2 Performing Engineering Operations in Engineering, a level 3 NVQ/trailblazer qualification and a level 3 city and guilds 2339 (power system engineering). I also have on site training where i learn how to do the job I will be doing everyday once my apprenticeship is over.

I have learnt a lot about what a working life is, I have learnt numerous new skills that I will use for the rest of my life. My confidence has grown greatly.

I thoroughly enjoy my program, I am learning so many new things and developing many of my existing skills. I have made life long friends.

4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?

They are always conscious of how we are getting on, and are always interested in developing us and making sure we are comfortable in the working environment.

It is fairly well organised, sometimes the timetable is changed unexpectedly and at short notice which is an inconvenience. But overall, it is organised quite well.

We have all the support we need from our training providers, they are always happy to help and get us what we need.

They are always interested in what we are doing and how we are getting on. They always provide us with anything we need.

As I am still living at home, my salary covers me quite quite well as I am not paying to live.

I haven't had any as of yet but I am sure there will be opportunities in the future.

9a. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend? *

They are well known and well established company. The apprenticeship is one of only a few that will guarantee a permanent position with the company if you pass the apprenticeship. You will learn skills that you will never forget and you will gain loads of qualifications.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid? *

Not to panic about the interview, treat it as a two way conversation for the interviewers to get to know you and you to get to know the interviewers. It is a long application process but you need to stick with it and give 100% in everything.