1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
• Setting up secure data transfer using Connect:Direct Secure+, sFTP, FTPs, AS2 and HTTPS
• Connect Enterprise
• Shell Scripting on Unix/Linux
• SSL Certificate Management and PGP Encryption
• Production support including overnight and weekend on-call support
• Technical support for both internal and HSBC corporate external customers
• Change management, problem management and incident management.
• Disaster recovery testing for the UK C:D Gateway and ICE Gateway
• Analysis and problem solving skills used to help resolve live production incidents
• Assisting other teams with connectivity testing prior to and post disaster recovery tests, role swaps and server migrations to ensure that file transmissions have not been affected
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
All of the above
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I found it very enjoyable and learnt lots of new skills. It could have been improved by incorporating more experience in other areas, such as rotating departments like the degree programme does
4. How valued do you feel by HSBC?
I feel valued but in some departments there is a lack of opportunities for promotion after the apprenticeship, despite working at the level of all your colleagues.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
It was very well organised
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
We received lots of support.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
We received lots of support from HSBC, allowing us time out of work to attend day release sessions with the training provider and sometimes allowing time to complete the assignments in work time.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
For people living in sheffield, there are some opportunities outside of work to socialise.
9. Would you recommend HSBC to a friend?
Because I have learnt some great skills here and they have really supported me in my first few steps on my career ladder.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to HSBC?
Be open to new ideas, be honest and be reliable.
More from HSBCMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!