Substation Apprentice at National Grid

Chester
17th April 2015

8.3/10

Substation Apprentice, maintain, inspect and repair substation equipment

Hand skills have improved dramatically as well as low voltage work such as wiring.

I enjoy it the majority of the time and find it hard to think of a time when i thought this wasn't the right job for me.

4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?

I feel like I am of high value. I am consistently told I am the future of the company and I am always respected by others.

It has changed small amounts throughout the year which was good. The only problem being a delay for next years time table has stopped all planning for holidays etc for next year.

My training provider is a huge help, they offer after work revision classes for those who are struggling and overall make sure everyone's interested and is understanding what is being said.

I know that if I need support it is there for me. A quick email would allow them to know support is needed and it will be done. At the moment they are feeding us with encouragement and enthusiasm as well as confidence

My salary is excellent, I am able to drive a nice car and have money in shares and still have some left for me to do whatever I please with.

As an apprentice, no

9a. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend? *

The company itself is outstanding and is definitely a career I would recommend. The qualifications you gain as well as the salary makes applying for the national grid apprenticeship a no brainer.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid? *

Be confident with what you are saying. Make sure you know and understand what you are speaking about. Be willing to ask questions and open to answer them.