Track apprentice at Network Rail

lincoln

Connect with Network Rail

7.6/10

I am a track apprentice have spent mosy of my time with the maintenance department, however i have also been on placements with technical and off track.

I have learnt many new technical skills by completing the appreticeship , however the day to day tools and addtional safety training which would allow me to carry out my new technical skills i am missing. i am yet to be put on the courses despite asking for 2 years . This is rather dis -heartening as i had more certificates which allowed me to use tools and equipment before starting the apprenticeship than i do 2 and a half years into it .

I enjoy the day to day to working with the gangs, however due to being poorly managed and not being put on courses for tools which i had before starting the apprenticeship it gets frustrating ,as i have always been a hands on person and was quite experieced using a wide range of tools before joining the depot.

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

I feel valued by the guys in the teams that i work with on a day to day basis. But not so much by the management as i am going to finish the apprenticeship with good technical knowledge but depsite asking i will not have received the addtional training which i require to enable to put my knowledge to use and be ready for the job roles i will be applying for .

The training i have received in Gosport as been really high standard and the course work despite taking up 100's of hours of my personal time as been really useful. I have basically been left to organise myself swince arriving at the depot.

I have received really good support from all the tutors i have come across . My NVQ assesor as also been really helpful.

I receive great help from most of the departments i have worked with . However some of the managers just dont have time to help.

The network rail program as been excellent the wage is good for what we are doing .

N/a

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

I feel i have learnt so much more on this apprenticeship and will have progressed my railweay carrer as i have had some very high level training and have gained some good comptencies .

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

Keep on top of the daily diary