1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
As an audit trainee, you're responsibilities are to assist the seniors and other team members with the audit as well as undertake your professional qualification exams/studies.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I've learnt A LOT about the practices in the accounting and audit industry because the professional qualification covers a lot and the work you do on live audits incorporates all the theory.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The programme is great! There's a lot of support given to trainees and juniors from everyone at the firm with professional on the job development as well as the studying.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The programme is very well organised! Studying and internal training is incorporated with work experience in a way that feels natural in terms of development.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Employer provides a lot of support. Trainees and juniors are encouraged to ask questions and study leave is given for college days and to prepare for exams.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
A lot. Study leave is given to attend college and prepare for exams. If resitting exams, you're given a few extra study day leave and arranging this is pretty easy/straight forward.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
The qualification definitely helps because I understand the context of my work and the technical aspects to look out for. Definitely wouldn't be able to perform my role without the knowledge gained doing the qualification.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
With covid, it's all been virtual and scarce but have been told in prior intakes there were more on offer.
9a. Would you recommend BDO to a friend?
The support with development is great and the company culture is amazing. You get the sense that everyone in the firm believes and follows the firm's culture.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BDO?
Look at the company's values, do research around the firm looking at things they do/have done other than providing professional services and be yourself.