1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Helping with customer banking queries via the mobile app and webchat, in order to meet the financial needs. I interact with customer generally in relation to application support, credit card queries and complaints.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have developed my understanding in financial products and services, and gained good insight and experience into delivering effective customer service. Time management and my ability to manage several tasks at the one time, has also improved.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I enjoy the interaction with customers, in meeting the financial needs. From one customer to another, their circumstances can all be very different, so it is interesting learning to adapt to every situation. The involvement within my team is also something I enjoy.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
With recently working from home, it ensuring everyone had the same skillset. But the team works together well in supporting others with any new information learnt. We also have regular team meeting and coaching sessions, so that we are all well-informed of any updates or changes.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I have regular coaching sessions with my manager, which is to assess my work performance but also to ensure that everything is ok outside of work. Mental wellbeing is a key focus and I feel there is always the support available, if needed.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
We have scheduled meetings every fortnight to check that the required is being completed and that any questions can be asked. I also have the option to directly email an advisor if there is anything I am unsure of.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
It has provided me with a greater understanding of what my role entails and therefore enabled me to implement better practices in providing effective customer service. It has demonstrated to me the importance of scheduling and planning, which has led to me being more efficient in my role.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
During the Covid-19 we have had several events over Zoom to create a better team involvement. The team was only formed shortly before the pandemic had started and so we didn't know each very well. However, there are no sports team or societies.
9a. Would you recommend NatWest to a friend?
It is a great way to get experience in interacting with a diverse group of customers. It can be high pressure at times, but the skills learnt can be very beneficial for personal development. It is also a supportive working environment.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to NatWest?
It may be beneficial to have an initial understanding of financial products and services, to avoid feeling overwhelmed when first being trained. It is best suited to those who prefer flexible working hours as the shift pattern can change frequently.