overhead linesperson at SSE

Reading
March 2021

building repairing or maintaining overhead power lines is what it is supposed to be but is now more of sitting in the depot for 6 out of your 7.4 hour day waiting for faults to come in or travelling half way to a job that then gets cancelled, then you will receive a call being complained at for not getting enough work done or evidence in for your apprenticeship

i have learned skills from the training school during my apprenticeship but when it comes to on site or in the depot you can no longer put these skills into practice because the company hires contractors to do all your work for you now, which costs them double but is ‘more efficient’ leaving you with no possible way of getting your evidence of progress in for your apprenticeship.

i enjoy being at the training school because it is very productive hands on and you can learn new things every day that you are there, your trainers can relate to you and are really helpful and will help you, it’s also quite fun! However as soon as your course is finished you get thrown into the depot to put your new skills into practice and you need to get pictures of you doing very specific things on jobs (evidence) which you won’t be able to do because the company doesn’t give you jobs, they give them all to contractors, meaning all the apprenticeship managers and people above you have a go at you constantly because something that is completely out of your control is wrong. i do not/ did not enjoy this apprenticeship. if there was an option for a 0/10 stars i would give it that

VERY poorly organised feels like next to none communication between the actual work side of the company and the apprenticeship side of it, resulting in you being the middleman and being blamed for most problems which is every day for me personally, every day a phone call complaining about something that i’m behind on when it isn’t my fault

Little to none, you get sent mental health awareness things to do but that’s only really because they have to send them out, the company doesn’t care about you anymore, the old boys that have been in the company for 30+ years have also said that the company has NEVER been this bad and it isn’t getting better because it is moving into protecting their own back when something goes wrong or someone gets seriously injured or worse, instead of caring about an individual which you’ll find in any corporal company but it’s very bad in this one where you are in a profession where people do get injured or die, it’s not nice to feel completely used and not cared about, [This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions] and to all the people reading this that are in the company i’m sure you can relate in one way or another...

little to none because the training provider does not communicate to your depot properly, they don’t understand how bad this company is and expect you to get things done when you physically can not do it due to there being no jobs for you to do, if you do sign up for this apprenticeship and it hasn’t changed since i am writing this there is a VERY slim chance that you will be able to complete this apprenticeship in the time you expect to, it seems to be going down hill very badly and very fast, me and a lot of my intake does not want to continue but it’s not like the company or training provider cares, all they care about is covering themselves from offsted and other government bodies.

you can get the qualification fine, it comes down to the fact that you can’t put it into practice i was back to the depot for 5 weeks in-between courses recently, my job is to go up poles and fix things everyday and build and fix things, i went up ONCE in FIVE WEEKS and wasn’t able to use that as evidence for my training provider because that specific time i was doing something that i have not been trained to do and was only really observing the other worker up the pole, very very poor apprenticeship [This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions]

No, there is nothing fun about being anywhere in this company apart from the training courses that you go on, which don’t last long, there is no activities there’s barely even work for you to do, it might sound good getting paid for doing nothing but you have to sit in your depot for the 37 hour week, you’d think that living 5 minutes from the depot would mean that you can wait at home until there is a job and maybe be productive but you do that and you’ll get accused of fraudulently taking money, i’d like to see those people accusing us of that, sit there for 6+ hours and do nothing apart from take the odd call from someone hassling you for something you can’t control.

9a. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?