Electrical Apprentice at SSE

Exeter
June 2020

5.1/10

During normal circumstances I would endure tasks such as: assisting and learning from qualified electricians whilst performing simple yet necessary tasks. From time to time I will also complete more complex tasks as a method of gaining knowledge in that particular region of work. However the work lacks variety.

I have learnt new skills and perfected some already preexisting skills that I had from college. I hope to continue bettering my knowledge surrounding the electrical field and aspire to be able to complete a higher difficulty degree of work in the future.

I do enjoy being able to learn from qualified professionals, although the work that is assigned by the company is somewhat repetitive and can restrict any progression of learning as an apprentice.

I would say that there is a decent level of organisation within the programme, however there always seems to be a short notice of any changes happening in the immediate future. This shows there is a lack of urgency in communicating with the staff.

Overall I receive a moderate level of help from my employers when I require help. However, the employers rarely go out of their way to provide extra help in work related tasks. There is a level of understanding surrounding my position in the company.

I receive a lot of decent support from my training providers.

Personally I feel as though the qualifications I have acquired help me to perform decently in my job role with both confidence and awareness.

None.

9a. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

From my experience I believe that it is highly possible to gain both more and a better level of knowledge through an individual provider. This is because of the close 1 to 1 contact and variety of real life scenario work experience.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?

Research into the company, practice interviews and be certain that this is where you want to continue your apprenticeship.