Nursery Assistant at Stour Road Day Nursery

Dorset, UK
May 2020

On a day-to-day basis I make sure I follow the children's daily routine to ensure they are having fun, learning and developing. I carry out a number of daily tasks, e.g. nappy changes, filling out daily diaries, setting up new and fun activities, risk assessments ensuring the toys/activities/environments are safe for the children and staff and setting up lunch/snack etc. It is my responsibility that the children within my setting are safe at all times, but also have the time to explore, learn and develop.

Through paragon I have now qualified Level 2 and Level 3 in Childcare. I have learnt many things through my apprenticeship and it has 100% helped with my confidence. I have attended many courses, such as: Peadeatric first aid, safeguarding L2, Wonders of Music etc. I have also completed many online courses, such as FGM and Health and safety.

I love my work and wouldn't want to change it for the world! I enjoy going to work everyday and love the team I work with. The team I work with are all very supportive and are always there when I need some help or advice. We also communicate very well to ensure we are all doing our job to our best potential.

I found that the organisation and structure of the programme was really helpful. In the induction I was explained what work I was going to be completing and what assignments needed to be done. I was also supported by my personal tutor which helped me stay calm and not get stressed when I was stuck as I knew I could ask my tutor for help and advice. I also enjoyed that my tutor sometimes let me chose what questions I wanted to complete next or what assignment I wanted to complete next.

I received a lot of support from my employer. When I was stuck or feeling stresses/worried I was able to go to my employer and get the support I needed which helped me feel calm. Whenever I needed support I was always able to get it from either my employer or room manager. Both support me really well and I know they are their when I need them.

If I felt like I needed support with some questions or area then I knew I was able to email or ring my tutor for some guidance/help. My tutor was always there when I needed support and always helped when I needed it. My tutor allowed my confidence to grow and was always there to support me. I enjoyed doing both my Level 2 and 3!

What I learnt within my Level 3 Qualification has helped me use best practice on a day-to-day basis in my role. From completing this qualification, I feel I have learnt more and feel I know more about my job role and the child care industry. I feel like completing this qualification is really going to help me use best practice.

When I'm not working, I enjoy going out and seeing my friends and family. I also enjoy going on long walks, running and home workouts! At my setting, we don't really do any company activities but we occasionally go out for a meal, or do something fun like bowling. Every year we also have a Christmas party. Last year we completed an escape room and went for a meal at Prezzo's.

9a. Would you recommend Stour Road Day Nursery to a friend?

I feel like paragon has really helped me get to my best potential within my job role. My tutor was supportive and I found the course both fun as well as informative and helpful in learning for my job role. I would 100% recommened people to go to Paragon for apprenticeship.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Stour Road Day Nursery?

I found the application process very easy to follow and apply for. I would advise them to have a look at the company website and research a bit about the role and area of work before the interview. With the interview I would advise them to just be themselves and to not get worked up. When being assessed, I would say again to just be yourself and act as if they wasn't there!