1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Day to day my apprenticeship involves working on an allocated project contributing to the software development for either a customer funded or Roke funded work.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
My software development skills and knowledge of different languages such as Python and Java.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I really enjoy the program, not only do I get a well rounded experience of work in the workplace but I also get the education from the university course. This has allowed me to become a more well rounded individual.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The program is very well structured, when starting with Roke I was placed on a three month development program to teach the fundamentals of the business and develop skills such as programming.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive a lot of support from my employer. There are regular catch ups that I attend and always check in's to ensure that I have answers to all my questions. You are also assigned with a line manager that provides a further source of knowledge.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
My training provider provides a lot of support as well. The module tutors are always available to answer any queries and there are regular catch ups to ensure you are on track.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
Very much so, the work we put in at uni has not only seen benefit in the workplace but also in every day life such as information about corporate social responsibility.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
Yes there are a magnitude to get involved with. These range from activities such as ethical hacking, yoga, data science and more.
9a. Would you recommend Roke to a friend?
The workforce is so friendly, the workplace (Romsey especially) is so scenic and relaxing to work in and the course and education that Roke provides is second to none.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Roke?
Be yourself, be honest and be friendly.