1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Within Santander we change team every six months to get exposed to different areas of the bank. On a day-to-day basis I currently do lots of work with data visualisation tools and SQL. I also have the opportunity to interact with lots of other employees whether it be through projects or general information gathering exercises.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Through the training provider part of the apprenticeship I have further developed my coding skills using python for programming assignments. At work I have also been on various courses for MicroStrategy which is a data visualisation tool. Furthermore, I have developed my team working and presentation skills when working on various projects.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
We get lots of great opportunities at Santander whether it be from meeting senior directors to team-building exercises.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The scheme is well structured by being assigned a line manager per rotation and an apprentice manager which helps to track your progress.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
We have regular meetings with our line manager and apprentice manager to make sure that we are progressing and learning on the job.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
We have quarterly meetings with our academic tutors at University to track that we are managing to balance work and university studies.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
The qualification helps me understand a wide range of topics that help in the working world. For example, learning about various project methodologies at university helps with team projects.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
There are various extra-curricular activities such as various meetups that happen every week that have different themes such as Cyber Security.
9a. Would you recommend Santander to a friend?
Santander gives you a great range of opportunities and experiences.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Santander?
Do your research about the company so you know about the bank's history and the values for which it stands for.