1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Working on the PPF team in our office is slightly different to working as a pension administrator. The Pension Protection Fund (PPF) are a statutory public corporation who pay compensation to members of eligible Defined Benefit schemes if their employer becomes insolvent.
The main purpose of the PPF team is to work on these DB schemes and get them to a point where they are eligible to transfer to the PPF. We work on the schemes during the assessment period, where members are not allowed to transfer their benefits out and into another scheme.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Over the past 6 months I think my skills and knowledge of pensions have definitely improved. I am now settled in and I have passed my first exam. I now also have a further understanding of what it means to be a part of a working community and a team.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
So far I have really enjoyed my time working at Barnett Waddingham and everybody on my team has helped me and gave assistance/guidance if I am ever stuck or confused.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
I think the programme at Barnett Waddingham is great. Apprentices get all the help and guidance they need and still get to experience a working environment.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Lots, I always feel as though I can ask anyone for help and nobody is reluctant to give guidance/solutions to problems, everybody is very friendly and helpful.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
A lot, The Growth Company are fantastic, everybody wants what is best for you.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
I believe that the information I am gaining from the apprenticeship is vital to help me complete my job more efficiently.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
Yes there are lots of activities you can get involved in, there are regular social events where anyone is welcome to join and some people in the office sign up for sporting events such as half marathons or 6 a side football.
9a. Would you recommend Barnett Waddingham to a friend?
Barnett Waddingham is a fantastic company to be a part of. The people who work here are all friendly, welcoming people and the support I receive in my apprenticeship is great. Even though it is an apprenticeship you are treated no differently to anyone else and made to feel welcome at all times.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Barnett Waddingham?
If you are nervous/unsure about applying for an apprenticeship here, don't be. The apprenticeship has been fantastic so far for me and I couldn't recommend it enough.