1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
My day to day role involves me visting customers in there homes to install and service current virgin media products, that include home phone and broadband. service faults can vary so we have to be prepared for a wide array of faults. we work closely with customers to meet there needs so strong customer service skills are required.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have been exposed to many different scenarios since joining virgin media that has allowed me to envelope new and existing skills such as the use of a wide variety of tools and test equipment that i have never seen before. this job role has also allowed me to develop my people skills as we deal with customers on a regular basis
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The programme so far has been very enjoyable despite only being with the company for a relatively short amount of time i feel a part of a team and that i have learnt so much inthe time i have worked here, you are never short of people to ask for help from
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
since starting the organisation of the programme by the apprentice providers has been okay there is sometimes a lack of clarification with what is required from us and no solid structure with how we should be approaching our apprenticeship on a day to day basis this can make me and other apprentices feel a little lost when approaching work
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
support is always at hand when you need it by other technicians and apprentices this is really helpful and support is always given when required. the mentor/apprenticeship system works really well i have been lucky enough to have a very knowledge mentor that i get on with really well.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
there doesn't seem to be much support material available to aid us through our apprenticeship it is not clear to me whether all the content to learn the apprenticeship standards should be provided by the ap providers or virgin media themselves. i think more material should be provided to help educate us about the course we have choosen
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
learning the theory behind our day to day task we complete at work allows me to get a better understand for why we do them and also gives me more confidence when doing the tasks although not all contents that we cover in the qualification are relevant to what we might actually do which can sometimes feel like a waste of time learning about certain topics.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
there seems to be good opportunities to get involved in extra curricular activities in my workplace and i feel well informed when events are coming up and welcome to join in if i decide to. there is a lot of charity events that also get organised which is really good
9a. Would you recommend Virgin Media to a friend?
i would recommend a friend to virgin media because there is plenty of variety here, no two days are the same and there is a good balance in all aspects of the job we are given flexibility to work on our own and mange ourselves but also have the support of other people if you need it
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Virgin Media?
use the early stages of employment the best as you can