Business Consultant at IBM

Degree Apprenticeship
February 2020

Connect with IBM

8.4/10

My role consists of ensuring all time booked is correctly billed, meaning we get paid correctly. There is a lot of opportunity to innovate current processes, leading to more time efficiency and less mistakes. I do a lot of work with excel, here Ill use macros and VBA to get the job done accurately and efficiently. My roles sees me managing budgets to the value of £250k.

Absolutely, hard and soft skills. Coming straight from 6th form the change was extreme, so learning the ins and outs of such a complex business environment were key. Granted its only been 18 months, so really ive only learned the tip of the iceberg. Key skills have been with MS office, negotiation, customer-client frameworks and agile working.

I do really enjoy most of the aspects of my programme, The other people Ive met have been great - at Uni and in work. I am supported and have plenty of time to work on essays and other uni assignments. One challenge can be moving around the company, as being one of the lower skilled people, often roles go to those who have been at the company longer or more experienced. So the answer is always learn!

Imagine yourself working at IBM

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 2 roles at IBM

Fairly well structured. Support is only a message way and even though the degree is with MMU, it fits with IBM day to day work nicely. There has been a few hiccups with the course, but these have been rectified and fixed. Lecturers are very knowledgable and approachable. Course mentors are always wanting to develop you.

All the support I need is readily available. This is something I cant fault and IBM does very well. As above, there is a lot of work required to complete the essays to a high standard, IBM gives me plenty of time and support to ensure the quality is met.

Manchester Met offers courses regularly to improve everything from exam technique and referencing through to mental wellbeing and personal health. If there is a topic I dont understand, lecturers and mentors are on hand to guide me in the right direction. One thing I like is the flexibility on attending sessions, there is another group doing the same modules so can always swap if needs be.

I do agree for the most part the modules learnt help me day to day. It gives me something to think about when at work, and how I can apply the models and academic reading. Its definitely more of a holistic benefit - the overall learning gives me confidence in my work abilities rather than specific appliances.

Yes to all of the above, IBM promotes these through a localised benefit called IBM Club. The sports event of the year is called the corporate games, great fun offering go karting and football to name two. First wednesdays of the month is a social event in the evening where there is a bar tab funded by IBM to promote network growth. I personally play 4 a side football.

9a. Would you recommend IBM to a friend?

IBM is giving me skills in a fast paced learning environment. Im given responsibilites that if not carried out at a high standard, will have an effect on my account. My work matters and Im made to feel that way with all the support and pushing to succeed I receive.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to IBM?

Read up on assessment tips, they are all over the internet. Thats what I did, but most importantly be decisive, dont sit on the fence! Ensure you consider and listen to everyone, because there is a lot of team work in IBM its vital you prove you can be a team player aswell as a leader.