1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am a planning officer that assesses minor development applications. These include for example, householder extensions, change of use applications, flat conversions and new dwelling applications.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Since starting the apprenticeship, I have been allowed to shadow pre-application meetings for more major developments. This allows me to see how larger schemes are assessed in line with Barnet’s policies.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I enjoy the apprenticeship side of things as I get to learn new and more challenging types of applications.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
My employers don’t understand the apprenticeship model very well, I think this is because it is the first time they have run it. I find that I have to organise my “off the job training” myself.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Not very much, I feel that I have to organise myself with the apprenticeship.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
We have had one session on how to use the One File system where we we record our “off the job training.” This was quite brief and I am still unsure as to what exactly needs to be recorded.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
I think the apprenticeship gives me more opportunities in the work place to develop my career as I can use it as an excuse to shadow people above me. I can then use the new knowledge in my job.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
We have social activities quite often. I would like it if they advertised planning networking and events that are happening in London.
9a. Would you recommend Capita to a friend?
Being offered an apprenticeship is a great opportunity. Hopefully it will be more organised as time goes on.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Capita?
Ask about the apprenticeship schemes they have!