1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Day to day: I am currently working with a client in the environment and water sector of the business. I am seconded to this client and work on their small scale projects with project values of up to £500,00. I have around 50 concurrent projects which i manage monthly payment applications by review contractors actual costs as the schemes are often cost reimbursable. I also carry out precontract work on new projects for example sending out new work orders for new projects, or review tender submissions from multiple contractors. I enjoy the role and find the fast pace environment is suited to me.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Skills i have learnt: Client facing skills, pre contract and post contract skills, contract administration, reviewing tenders and applications for payment, final account skills, estimating.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I really enjoy my programme, it is a brilliant opportunity to earn whilst learn and not stack up any university debt. I enjoy coming into work as every day is different and I enjoy it most when I am busy.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The beginning of the programme wasn't the most structured partly because of my University training provider. However 3/5 years in to the apprentice i don't need any more structure than i currently have. I study 4 modules over 2 semesters each year in university but Mott MacDonald are very understanding when it comes to me needed time off for exams etc.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive as much support as i need, my line manager is always available for my to speak to in confidence of any issue. They are very considerate of my university exams and my mentor has helped me expand my knowledge on university content which relates to my current work.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
I receive sufficient amount of support from my university if i need any.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
University course content is partially related to my current work however it does teach you things which i know i will use further along in my career.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
In my area Mott MacDonald have a sports and social events committee which deliver new events every couple of months.
9a. Would you recommend Mott MacDonald to a friend?
Without a doubt, they're a brilliant company to work for the following reasons to name a few; Global career opportunities, earn whilst learning in university, competitive salary and benefits packages, good work life balance, very supportive in progressing quickly to the next level in your career.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Mott MacDonald?
Be a personable character, enthusiastic about the built environment, be ambitious with your goals, be hard working and determined to progress, and put in as much work you possibly can to develop your career.
More from Mott MacDonaldMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!