Materials Laboratory Apprentice at Rolls-Royce

Derby
Degree Apprenticeship
September 2019

Connect with Rolls-Royce

We perform 4 month rotations which could involve supporting manufacturing, performing R&D, investigating failures, validating machines or re-writing specs.

Understanding of coatings and fluid systems, how to re-write specifications, how to and the importance of material preparation. I have also learnt many materials related information.

I really enjoy the variety of moving around and experiencing different teams and different parts of the engine.

Due to the programme being new then I would say that the organising and structure of the course has been lacking. A few problems early on but it has improved.

I believe we receive a lot of support from both ADLs and managers.

Regular training sessions and support are always about at different sites. A phone call to the team normally fixes any issues.

Well the qualifications are more appropriate to a Manufacturing Engineer (ME) rather then a Materials Engineer. So I believe the qualification is only slightly useful.

There are many social events available but I do not use them.

9a. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend?

Great company, great people and many many opportunities to develop.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce?

If you want to enter the world of engineering then go for it. The course is so much better then just going to University!