technical apprentice at BAE Systems

Yorkshire and the Humber, UK
August 2019

on a day to day basis i tend to do various jobs given to me by my manager. i change placements and jobs every few months and i really enjoy this however it can be difficult. If i am working on the computers then i tend to work with various documents and technical illustrations.

yes lots of new computer skills such as excel and a better understanding of various databases and programmes i have never before been on at school etc. I have also learnt more about the company and the values as well as what they have to offer in terms of jobs and perks of working here too.

I really enjoy my programme, everyone is lovely and i am well looked after by the members of staff in each department and my training provider as well. I think that my salary is very good considering i am an apprentice and as i will be receiving education for free it's really good and i couldn't praise it more. Some of the work gets a bit boring but that's always going to be the case with the workplace.

The whole apprenticeship scheme here is very well structured. There is a process in place for my job roles and placements so this is really good and we are told these at the start of the year. I think that the system is really good and although there are minor problems in communication, it's usually sorted out promptly.

I get a lot of support from both my manager and also from my apprenticeship trainer as well on a weekly basis. I feel as though i am looked after well, as previously mentioned, by various members of staff. I know who i can also ask for help if i have any problems at work as well.

college is ok and we get some help from some of the tutors. It's good for improving our skills and such, it could be improved with giving us feedback however overall pretty good. The skills we learn do benefit us in the apprenticeship and work environment but there is also room for improvement.

As previously mentioned, college isn't too bad and we get some help from some of the tutors. It's good for improving our skills and such, it could be improved with giving us feedback however overall pretty good. The skills we learn do benefit us in the apprenticeship and work environment but there is also room for improvement

we have some opportunities in the local area and even just typical pubs and restaurants are always nice to go too with a few people from work. we have chance to visit different sites and move into different areas of our work too which is fun to do and meet new people as well.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend?

i've enjoyed my apprenticeship a lot and would certainly recommend it to someone else. I would recomment the apprenticeship also because the salary is really good considering it is an apprenticeship and the education and training both in and outside the workplace are very beneficial as well. I have enjoyed my time at BAE so far and would recommend it.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems?

try to apply knowledge you find out about the company in the interviewing stages. be yourself and be friendly and kind. I would also suggest to look up about the core company values and what BAE's goals are as a business. Try to present yourself in a formal way as well.