Business Academy Student at EY

Reading
August 2019

Connect with EY

1. Please give an overview of what your work experience involved:

My work experience involved hands-on involvement in GPS (Government and Public Sector) assurance, where I was checking accounts, such as balance sheets and profit and loss accounts, and reviewing whether EY had the correct information from these clients. I also got involved in client communications, where I was sending out queries to clients about their accounts, which I found really interesting.

2. What training and skills development did you learn from your work experience?

I received a lot of training in how to use their technology, as they have very sophisticated system that takes a while to navigate. I also developed skills in logical thinking, problem solving and networking throughout the week.

3. To what extent did you enjoy your work experience?

I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience as it provided an invaluable insight into what a career or apprenticeship in the financial sector would be like.

Imagine yourself working at EY

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 9 roles at EY

4. How well organised was your work experience?

My work experience was very well organised as I almost always had a task to complete or an activity to get involved in.

5. How much did you learn about the company culture and what it would be like to work there?

I learnt a lot about the company culture, as I was able to see the amazing network of people within the business that are all able to support you. I was also able to see the amazing work ethic of all the employees at EY, which was very inspiring to see.

6. How much did your work experience help you in deciding on your future career path?

It helped me a lot as I am now much more aware of the work that goes on in the financial sector and now know that I would like to find out more. I feel as though this type of work is greatly suited to me from completing this work experience.

7. Were you paid or reimbursed for this experience?

I was paid for this position and am not sure about the reimbursement of travel and such.

8. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees?

There were many opportunities for networking as I am meeting new people almost every day.

9a. Would you recommend EY to a friend?

EY is an amazing business that contains many friendly and approachable people that want you to succeed, and in this environment you want to succeed as well.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EY?

Persevere, the application process is quite a long one, but you will gain valuable skills from applying that you can use in other applications and the general experience of going through all the stages is a beneficial experience to have.