Customer Service Advisor at SSE

Portsmouth
June 2019

I am a customer service advisor dealing with complaints and enquiries from a customer base comprising some 4 million households. Inbound calls comprise of various enquiries relating to the electricity industry.

I have received more support from my line manager as a result of the NVQ, including support in developing into other roles, and sitting in with various departments.

I enjoy working with my trainer as she is very supportive and easy to get along with. The course is straightforward.

This is the one thing that lets it down slightly, the IT system is transitioning to a new platform. The older one which I'm using isn't the most user friendly to navigate, but once you know how to search it isn't too bad.

My employer does try to allow time and enable me to undertake this at work. The nature of the business though is reactive so unfortunately time can never be totally ring-fenced for me to complete the work needed, so it often needs to be rescheduled.

So far really good. I feel that my trainer listens, guides and teaches in a way that matches my learning requirements.

So far the qualification reinforces and highlights my existing knowledge, and puts into perspective how I currently deal with customers in a different way.

Occasionally we are able to undertake community days which allow us to assist charities in either getting involved in their activities or fund raising.

9a. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

If my friend had a power cut, I'd recommend them calling 105.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?

A sound knowledge of the industry is essential and good customer service, plus an awareness of "if it isn't safe, we don't do it" is crucial.