apprentice at Thames Water

Reading
May 2019

Connect with Thames Water

for the first year I am in collage fill time, returning to site for school holidays. at collage I gain my qualification while being paid to be at collage. at side I take on jobs with a mentor and at collage we do practical and theory work to complete the qualification.

from collage I have learnt how to safely and properly use an XYZ milling machine as well as a lathe and multiple different hand tools, I've learnt how to correctly create circuits and construct ring mains and lighting circuits. ive developed skills in programming and maths as well as presenting and explaining processes.

I enjoy my program very much, as I have made a great deal of progress with my skills and knowledge of the engineering field, as well as creating friendships with others. collage is a challenging and enjoyable environment in which I really enjoy myself. site is also enjoyable and the days are busy and challenging.

the program is well structured and the layout of the program is told to us at the start of our program. with collage being full time for a year it is organised as we do the bulk of our practical knowledge in one year, which we can then apply to side for the other three years.

the support from the employer is perfect. they are always available to sort out issues or other problems that may arise, such as equipment damage or replacement. issues with the collage if any are quickly sorted out and are a high priority to the employer. plenty of support is available if needed or not

plenty of support and help is received from our training provider, with regular meetings, group interviews and 1 on 1 talks to check up on our progress and other issues that may arise. any problems are quickly sorted out and fixed so that our work can be back on track quickly and effectively.

the qualification gives me the skills to preform adequately within the work environment, as the skills I have gained though the qualification give me the necessary knowledge and practical ability to be safe and effective within the work environment. the qualification gives me the understanding and confidence to complete work effectively.

we go away for a few days as a group of apprentices for a team building type activity event. this consists of activities like canoeing, raft building and climbing etc. however I do not take part in any extra curricular activities as there a not many on offer and being at collage means I am busy

9a. Would you recommend Thames Water to a friend?

they are very good at looking after their employees, their benefits are amazing and the qualifications and carer are just some of the positives. they care about her employees, unlike many other companies, mental health is a real focus point within the company and they are welcoming to new people.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Thames Water?

to go for it. it is a brilliant company to work for with many advantages, research should be done before to ensure it is the right opportunity for the specific person. they should have fun and enjoy their time at Thames but should also work hard to be the best they can be