Infrastructure Technician Apprentice at Transport for London

North Greenwich
May 2019

Connect with Transport for London

During my apprenticeship I would be moving around to different IT teams gaining experience in each. When I first started I was with the 2nd line support team dealing with service requests such as name changes, share drive access, mailbox access, application access and incidents such as profile resets, slow performance.

During my time here I have learnt how to use the many different applications out there and complete various request and incidents. I have improved my listening and customer service skills as I was dealing with customers on a daily basis and it has made me more confident in approaching people as well.

I enjoy the programme in the sense that I get to learn whilst working at the same time; gaining a qualification at the end of it which is beneficial for me in the long run. I also enjoy the fact that we get sent on a residential to for some training courses.

The programme is quite structured in which you go into 1 team for 6 months and then you are given a choice as to which IT team you want to choose next; the length you stay in that team will vary and there are many to choose from. For example at Wintel, you would be there for around 5 months.

My employer provides me the time I need to complete my assignments and is available if I struggle with anything. The employer is understandable and provides extra time if it is needed to complete assignments; or when preparing for a course; provides time to revise the content. They also have a graduate and apprentice forum.

My training provider has provided me with a mentor who advises me on where I could improve my work and is available for support when needed. The training provider also run the courses that we have to do a few times a year and I have found there training to be really helpful towards my qualification.

The training courses I complete throughput the year through my training provider are essential for my role as they give me an insight on how to do certain things and I am able to learn in a short space of time. They also provide access to many resources such as Skillpipe and Pluralsite.

There is a Graduate and Apprentice forum who hold events every now and then and they also provide opportunities to visit places within the business. Some of the places I have been to so far was a Crossrail depot in which we were able to learn about what happens to the trains when they arrive there.

9a. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend?

Transport for London is a great place to work with many benefits such a free travel, 29 / 30 days annual leave, a generous pension fund and the opportunity to progress within the business. As it is a big company there are many different roles that you could go into such as engineering, project management, HR services etc.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London?

When applying to Transport for London you should be yourself when going through the stages. For an apprenticeship there are a few stages such as some initial tests, once you have passed, there will be a pre recorded video interview and the last stage will be a group discussion and your interview.