Fibre City Cabler at BT

Shoreditch, Greater London
May 2019

10 /10

An over view of my job role is that I install fibre cables (UG) under ground through out London and also involved in the Dagenham and Ilford Spines - also I am now learning the admin side of things. I still go out on the tools and cable on the weekend.

Yes - everything I have learnt is new.. this job is a completely different working environment to my previous job. I am still developing new skills as I am still classified as a trainee engineer so every day is a school day. Learning the tools we use and making sure it's all safe to work in.

I really enjoy my programme / diploma that I am on, it's a year and one day long but I feel that is enough time for my self personally. It's been spaced out as I am a night time worker so it has been amended so I do a week of diploma training

Imagine yourself working at BT

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 20 roles at BT

As a night time worker - my programme had to be amended so I do it in a complete week rather than a day one week and a day another. So works absolutely fine with me. The course is well structured as well as it's all done with in stages.

The support that I have behind me is phenomenal - couldn't ask for any more from them. Not only from my team on BNS611 the engineers have taken me under their wing and teach me as much as they can. Also the managers behind them have been very supportive as well.

I have specific weeks to work on my diploma - to take time away from my usual working week to complete this. Therefore I am not adding extra pressure / time on my self to do it at home which is brilliant. The trainer I have had is great and will support the best he can

My qualification I am working towards makes me understand the company in greater detail, which is super valuable to have. I am currently 8 months in to it now and I have 4 months left to complete it. I feel it helps my job role on a day to day basis.

Yes they have social activities for certain reasons. An example of that would be money being set aside for FND 1st Birthday or for Christmas which really brings the team together and we really are one big happy family. Which in hindsight helps in the long run as we will always help eachover

9a. Would you recommend BT to a friend?

I am trying to get some friends over to Openreach currently - one has applied but for some reason got rejected at the video call stage. I am getting her to re-apply as she meets the criteria the company wants. The company has so many benefits it offers and it's a privilege to work for.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BT?

The advice I would give others who wish to apply for openreach would be, be yourself first and also be as confident as you can be. It always helps to do some background research on the company as this shows interest.. also if your lucky to get in... don't take it for granted