1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am an assistant management accountant. I complete daily, weekly and monthly reporting. I also produce the weekly profit and loss and post month end journals.i support with any adhoc duties that my manager gives me and I help with keeping the systems up to date. I assist with the raising of product codes etc.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have learnt a lot of new skills as I have never worked in management accounts before. being on the apprenticeship has definitely helped with my confidence & communication. I now go to meetings which is something I never wanted to do! It allows you to build your knowledge whilst working on the job which makes it easier when it comes to exams.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
Its a good programme, we do lots of different things within it. like raising money for charities, voluntary work and taking part in different courses. It's good because it allows you to meet all the other apprentices on the scheme and listen to their experiences. Everyone is very supportive and very friendly!
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
My programme is well structured but my training provider lets it down a little! I have regular monthly reviews with my manager which looks at what i've been working on in the month, what i've studied at college and how i've put this into practise and also what I need to work on.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive a lot of support from the HR Apprentice manager! she's really helpful and supportive and ensures that you are on track by doing monthly reviews. I also receive support from my managers as they are always there to ask for help if I am ever stuck or need help with my studies.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
I don't receive much support from them, they haven't been very quick at answering my queries or helped me with my studies. Work have helped me more with my studies than Kaplan have. For my last course I only went to college for 3 days and then had to take the exam
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
the qualification helps me understand the more technical side of accountancy which helps me with my role! I have been able to look at all aspects of finance rather than just management accounts. So this will help me in the future as my manager is looking into getting me some training for financial accounts
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
We do a lot of charity events like car washes, voluntary work, race nights etc. we take part in a lot of extra curricular activities which makes the programme more exciting it also allows us to discuss our experiences. we also meet with the graduates which again is good because it allows us to meet people in different departments with different experiences.
9a. Would you recommend Bakkavor to a friend?
It's a good company to work for, very supportive and they really help you achieve your goals
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Bakkavor?
Don't be worried about doing things wrong, you are still learning! Everyone makes mistakes and your managers should understand that.