Work Experience Student at Pinsent Masons

Yorkshire & The Humber
August 2014

Connect with Pinsent Masons

I was accepted onto the Pinsent Masons work experience programme and had the chance to experience work as a trainee solicitor. The week comprised of mixed tasks, some scenario-based, others research-based. I was able to go through documents and undertake some basic legal tasks under the supervision of a trainee solicitor.

I have developed my referencing skills and now understand the importance of this whilst sharing ideas with other people. I have also grown more independent, my research skills have improved and my confidence in asking questions has also improved.

I have really enjoyed the programme. It hasn't always been easy but it has been a really good insight into the work of a trainee and a fantastic opportunity to see what working in a commercial law firm is like.

4. How valued do you feel by Pinsent Masons?

Pinsent Masons employees have always given me time and have been patient in explaining things when I have not understood. I have been able to complete work which is used by trainees and so have felt valued in this sense.

Structure varied between departments; some departments offered specific scenarios throughout the week whilst others used different research tasks with each work experience student. This was good I felt as it gave a broad experience of work as a trainee.

Many of the tasks were independent although trainees were approachable and always offered support when needed.

IT training and health and safety training was provided.

N/A

N/A

9. Would you recommend Pinsent Masons to a friend?

The work experience offered me a fantastic opportunity to see what life as a trainee solicitor is like as well as a qualified solicitor. The placement was fun, informative and incredibly useful for me to gain a view of where in the law I might like to work in the future.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Pinsent Masons?

Don't be nervous to ask questions either about tasks or routes into law or people's experiences. Everyone at Pinsent Masons was lovely and gave me a lot of time and I'd feel comfortable to go back again.