Mechanical technician apprentice at EDF Energy

£1,008 monthly
April 2019

Connect with EDF Energy

10 /10

Completing a range of MMT’s on specific components/systems which I would be working on when back at site. Btecs are also completed in this time along with nvq and hnc. Btecs include a range of assignments that need to be completed which include a practical element. MMT’s include a range of revision material along with a test and a practical element included.

I’ve learned a range of new skills including overhaul of components which I would be working on back at site. I have learned how to overhaul components and learned how systems work within the powerstation during the AGR course which was helpful with returning back to station, as the knowledge is acquired in the training academy.

I enjoy my programme as it’s got practical aspects to it along with the theory so it’s very hands on. I couldn’t imagine another apprenticeship as enjoyable as this one. It’s well structured and the practicals are a special aspect especially if you like to do hands on work.

My programme is very organised leaving us time for completing work within the schedule. Every bit of work we are given is definately able to do within the time frame given to hand in work. Nothing is rushed and there is plenty downtime aswell after work. Most work given within the apprenticeship can be done within working hours.

I receive full support from my employer and anything I need is provided for me. Any new PPE is provided and sometimes at a quick rate and help is sent from station to the training academy if needed by our station coordinators which help us and divert us throughout our apprenticeship.

I receive lots of support from the training provider as if I have any questions or am unsure about anything they are answered. Throughout my apprenticeship I have asked many questions and they push you to ask any questions if you don’t quite understand which helps with your development and learning.

I’ve learned a great deal when working through my qualification manual. I have performed better throughout my apprenticeship as doing all of the theory work finished off with a practical makes you understand how things work. An example of this was learning about valves and how they work then going in the workshop after to overhaul them.

There are life skills trips and trips away to ascot etc. This develops our social skills aswell. During my time we have had football matches for charity which have been a successs and a great day out. We have also had donut eating competitions for charity raising a lot of money and having a lot of laughs during.

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend?

It’s a great way to learn, gain qualifications and feel well in your self throughout the programme. There are so many benefits throughout the apprenticeship. Gaining qualifications through the theory of the apprenticeship in your specific discipline is a great way to learn, this goes along with the practical work.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy?

Get involved with anything they provide for you. And make sure you are doing the work which goes along with it. Including life skills trips and social events. The projects including the submarine museum comes with benefits to your understanding of things you would be working on at site and offsite.