Care assistant at Anchor Trust

Yorkshire & The Humber
£520 monthly
March 2019

Connect with Anchor Trust

My role is to look after the residents in my care, I support them with eating their meals I do activities with them. I work with care staff to make sure they are kept safe and are in a presentable condition (dressed) I really enjoy getting the chance to help people out.

I have learned lots of new skills; my communication has improved, my confidence is better, I have made some good friends (who are also apprentices). I have learned some moving and handling skills to help move residents safely. I have also more knowledge about safeguarding residents and treating them with respect.

I get a bit nervous when asked to do something new; but once i do it i gain experience with it and through that i gain confidence. I have enjoyed getting to know my residents and their interests and about about their lives. It is interesting to learn wat they did when they were younger.

I would say it is well structured; i know what i need to do and when i have to do it by. I can work at my own pace, but still have some deadlines to meet and this helps me to meet them. I am clear on what is expected of me and i can learn a lot from my experience.

I receive support in my work and learning and i know what i am doing. If i ask a question they answer to the best of their ability. I am not afraid to ask questions as this will benefit me in the long run. My employer is reasonably supportive towards me.

I am still very early on programme and haven't had much interaction with my trainer as yet, but i have met her. I know from my fellow apprentices that she is really nice and helpful and i am looking forward very much to working with her through my apprenticeship programme.

Again I can't really say much about this as i am new to the programme and I am still shadowing my colleagues so don't have much experience of it as yet. I am keen to learn and over the next few weeks i will hopefully improve my skills and knowledge.

There are no extra curricular activities that i know of in my workplace. I have however met my colleagues out of work to do a little shopping for an activity we were planning; this went well. We do have a messenger group (with the other apprentices) so we can share our ideas.

9a. Would you recommend Anchor Trust to a friend?

Anchor are supportive as an organisation towards their apprentices; they have helped me to gain experience as an apprentice. They have helped me to start making steps towards a career that i have always been interested in. I feel supported in my role and look forward to my work every day. I would recommend them.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Anchor Trust?

The advice i would give them is to be happy and confident and be ready to learn from their experiences. Rather than going to college i can earn a wage and gain my qualification at the same time, which i need to do and would encourage others to do the same.