Control and Instrumentation Technician Apprentice at EDF Energy

Scotland
March 2019

Connect with EDF Energy

8.9/10

My apprenticeship consists of two years spent down on HMS Sultan gaining my BTEC and NVQ Qualifications; and then two years spent on my base site learning the trade that I was assigned to. These two years include completing my NVQ and gaining a HNC, as well as the opportunity to spend time in different trades for skills appreciation.

I originally was based on a site near to Nottinghamshire, however, due to its closure, I was moved to a site near to Dunbar to complete my apprenticeship. I have gained skills in both Coal and Nuclear industries, and have learned to apply skills learned from my past team to my current job

In the established nuclear programme which is currently running, it's very well structured with clear expectations and targets to adhere to

In the sense of support at work, there is plenty, including regular check ups, along with stress and wellbeing meetings.
When it came to myself relocating, there was a lot of support for established technicians, but because it was a new situation to have apprentices in, there wasn't as much due to its exceptional circumstances.

As I knew that I was going to have to relocate, I took my HNC via online learning, and therefore don't receive day release as the other apprentices do. I have been allowed to spend a half day a week on my assignments and learning if I require it though, which is good!

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend?

I think that it's a good apprenticeship with good opportunities, along with a great starting and finishing wage. Skills learned can be transferred to other industries if necessary

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy?

It helps if you have a genuine interest in what you are applying for as the first two years are quite intense