1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
My day to day role involves around the following:
- Assure high availability of the test environments throughout the duration of project or release testing
- Operate and maintain the related applications on test environments
- Speaking with testers and developers to get an overview on what they're currently working on.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Throughout my apprenticeship I have developed various skill sets by learning different programming languages ranging from Unix (Command-Line) to Powershell (Windows-Based) and SQL. This has helped me code much better and write scripts that are executing processes that others may use for testing purposes. I have developed my team work and communications skills as well.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
My apprenticeship programme is a Level 3 Infrastructure apprenticeship programme. It consists of training, exams, projects and end-point assessment. I enjoyed my programme as I got to learn a lot more and meet new apprentices from different companies that were in the same boat as me which was quite helpful.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
They provide a study calendar with training that needs to be done to help with the exams that are part of the programme which is quite helpful as the trainers have worked in the field they are teaching about. The other half are projects and end point assessment which can vary from each apprentice.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
My employer and team are extremely supportive of my role as an apprentice and give me the time off that I require for my programme. If I need any help they're there to give me a hand or take me through some things I may need to understand in greater depth.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
I was provided a Learning and Development Coach from Arch Apprentices to help support me throughout the apprenticeship programme so if I have any questions or needed anyone to double check my work, they would help me out. I was also provided a trainer for every exam to prepare for it.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
The exams I have completed such as, Microsoft, CompTIA and BCS, has provided me with qualifications that help me in my role or even future roles I may be interested in going in as it gives me an overview of each are in the IT field.
These are professional qualifications.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
There's always something new at work to get involved in everyday. We have a yammer group for the whole of the Enterprise Services - this where we schedule or let others know about events that are going around London that people might be interested in e.g. Quiz night, running club, Networking events etc.
9a. Would you recommend M&G Investments to a friend?
I would strongly recommend M&G Investments. It's a great place to work, everyone is extremely friendly and helpful if you are ever stuck or have any questions they'll also be there to give you a hand or go through it with you if are not sure what to do.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to M&G Investments?
Don't forget to be yourself - It's a bit of a cliché but your uniqueness is what makes you stand out. As everyone in M&G Investments appreciated each individuals uniqueness that can be used as a strength.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure about anything the interviewer will be more than happy to answer them.
More from M&G InvestmentsMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!