Work Experience at McDonalds

£0 annually
January 2019

7.5/10

1. Please give an overview of what your work experience involved:

During my time at Mcdonald's on work experience i learned basic skills with serving customers and taking orders. I also moved around and helped other employees and developed my skills communicating and seeing what it was like in a working environment. I would usually do one shift a day but have 2 days off a week. These shift could be anything from 4 hours long to 7.

2. What training and skills development did you learn from your work experience?

As previously mentioned, i improved my communication skills. I learnt the skills which are for the job at hand, such as making the food and the correct way to do this. I also worked on the till for a small time too which i have never done before and was a new experience for me.

3. To what extent did you enjoy your work experience?

I quite enjoyed my work but i think this was mainly because the people i was working with where very friendly and spoke to me throughout the day asking how i was getting on with the work. My work experience was unpaid so i wasn't worked hard and i was able to enjoy my time there as well as get some good benfits!

4. How well organised was your work experience?

It was organised to an extent. I had a primary contact at McDonald's however if they were busy then i knew i could speak to someone i was with for help with anything. In terms of my work, it was fairly organised however i was just told where i would be working for the day and asked if i was ok with that.

5. How much did you learn about the company culture and what it would be like to work there?

I learnt a bit more about the company then what i already knew. I was briefed about the core values and culture of the company but apart from a small briefing at the start and end of my experience i was not tought anything more in terms of company values.

6. How much did your work experience help you in deciding on your future career path?

In my future i wouldn't mind working at McDonald's however i do not want to be working there for all my life. i think it's a good starting point for my career and it gave me some good experience and helped me communicate more and learn about the general working life.

7. Were you paid or reimbursed for this experience?

No, my job was just a work experience placement that i applied for. Initially i was going to work for just a week however they told me i could come in around my school schedule and work for a couple of weeks if i wanted to. This benefitted and suited me more due to some exams i had.

8. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees?

Yes i spoke to a lot of employees there having been moving around the company a lot learning different jobs. There are a couple of employees i still speak to now and then and would like to see again perhaps if i end up getting a job there in the future.

9a. Would you recommend McDonalds to a friend?

i think it was a good starting point and experience for anyone such as myself, coming out of school not fully knowing what to do or where to start in their career. I learned and improved my basic skills and also felt comfortable working there as well. The benefits are good too.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to McDonalds?

I would ask the manager or a member of staff if they offer any work experience placements. If unwilling to do unpaid work for a couple of weeks then it may be harder to get a job there, however the recruitment process is straightforward and they should tell you if a placement is available and give you the relevant documents to apply etc.