Construction Trainee at BAM Construct UK

Newcastle
November 2018

9.1/10

I am currently working on a new School build as an Trainee Engineer. I am involved in setting out the building foundations, pile positions, drainage and checking as built steel levels and positions. This involves constant cooperation with the subcontractors and site managers. I am constantly in and out of the office checking drawings and have had steady use of BIM. As my programme is rotational every few months I will be rotating around technical areas like Management and Quantity surveying. I also go away to Collage twice a year for 4 weeks at a time to complete my HNC. This is good as it gives you a taste of the Uni life but you come back to site after the 4 weeks to work, best of both!!

I am currently studying towards a Level 4 HNC in Construction and completing an NVQ level 4 in Site Supervision as well as being on site. I have been through my CSCS test and have lots of courses up and coming like SSSTS and Lifting Awareness. You learn new skills everyday while cooperating with Subcontractors including Communication and being able to time manage.

I enjoy my program very much. BAM are a great company to work for and the team I work with are also great. I thoroughly enjoy going to work everyday. The company culture is present everyday at work which is good as they have great morals which make sure you are a valued member from day 1.

4. How valued do you feel by BAM Construct UK?

Very valued. I get treat and talked to like any other member of the team who may have 25+ years experience. My manager always makes sure I am happy with what I am doing and you are recognised when you do something good.

From day 1 you are provided with everything you need, email assess, a computer, stationary the lot. Your early careers mangers are in constant cooperation with you regarding your programme and when things are happening. BAM have a specific programme to follow when your on rotation meaning you get a good shot at every position including a range of activities to complete at each rotation.

My Training provider is experienced at leading Apprentice groups like myself. If I have any problems I know I can talk to them. I feel that the standard of teaching isn't as good as other Educational establishments I have been to in the past but you get a lot of support from your fellow pupils to help you long.

My employer provides me lots of support. HR is always just a phone call away if I every have any problems which is near on never. I have lots of guidance available and know if I have any issues I have lots of people I can talk to about them.

My salary meets my costs well. It is a healthy starting wage which is due to increase soon. Although I travel a fair distance to work everyday, BAM provide money to cover all my fuel costs and more every month on top of my salary. They also provide all my accommodation when away at Collage blocks including food money for when i'm at Collage everyday. I can travel back home at the weekends payed for by the company as well which really helps my salary go that bit further!

BAM provide lots of company activities including sports and weekend events like Bowling and meals out. I have not been here long enough to have gone on one yet though but they are always getting organised. They also provide a volunteering event which runs for around 9 months which every Apprentice is introduced to. This is to try help raise money for chosen charities and do your bit for the community.

9a. Would you recommend BAM Construct UK to a friend? *

I couldn't think of a better company to work for as they value you just the same as everyone else. They provide a great programme to enable you to be able to progress up and provide a good set of benefits at the same time. All in all a job you can enjoy everyday.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAM Construct UK? *

When applying to BAM just be yourself and make sure you have a general interest in Construction. Try get lots of Work Experience early on to show your keen and stand out from the crowd whether it be a week on site or a day. When at the assessment day make sure you stand out, talk and show your willing to get stuck in. Ask lots of questions!!