Business Administrator Apprentice at Balfour Beatty

South West
August 2018

10 /10

I worked as a Business Administrator level 2 apprentice in 2016 for Balfour Beatty. I worked on the Mayflower Water Treatment works. My role consisted of being the first point of contact for anyone who walked into the building. I would ask them to sign in and help them find where they need to go, whether it be to see somebody or to go to the meeting room. I always ensured they were offered a drink too. I was the first point of contact when answering the telephone, usually to deal with queries or to pass on the caller to the relevent person. I booked meeting rooms and kept diaries up to date. I ensured all documentation was filed correctly electronically and physically. I ensured that stationary and office supplies was always stocked up and I ordered any other goods that was requested. I offered support to all staff in the building and assistance to the office manager.

I have developed the skills of working in an office environment and becoming confident being the first point of contact. I have developed a polite telephone manner.i have learned organisation skills, and tips to stay on top of things.

I really enjoyed my Business Administration level 2 apprenticeship. My management team were very supportive and ensured I tried a range of different tasks and my college mentor was excellent.

4. How valued do you feel by Balfour Beatty?

I felt very valued by Balfour Beatty. They went above and beyond to make sure I did the tasks needed to help complete my course work. For example minute taking, I had to complete and essay regarding minute taking. My manager ensured I got to experience minute taking to help complete my course work.

My programme was very organised. For the first 5 months I spent every Monday attending college to help complete my course work. My mentor would visit my work place once every 4 to 6 weeks to gain evidence and sign off more work.

I received a lot of support from my training providor. As i mentioned I had 5 months where I attended college once a week and for the whole apprenticeship programme my mentor visited on a monthly basis. I also had her contact details if I needed her.

I received alot of support from my employer. They helped me through any mistakes I made which encouraged me to gain more confidence. There wasnt a question that I was afraid to ask.

My wage for an apprentice was very high, which was great as I needed a car to reach my work place, and I was never short on money.

Yes, from working in this cobstruction environment it has allowed me to find work in other construction companies.

9. Would you recommend Balfour Beatty to a friend?

Balfour Beatty are a wonderful company to work for. They are extremely supportive and like to give you opportunitys to improve yourself.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Balfour Beatty?

To try and be confident. Dont be afraid to ask questions and embrase the opportunitys and use them to gain experience.