Business Engineer Apprentice at Virgin Media

South East
June 2018

Connect with Virgin Media

I am a Business Engineer Apprentice. My daily tasks involve finding and fixing faults and prepare and fitting installs. I am always meeting new people, whether they are employees or customers, so there is always a good level of human interaction every day. Since starting the apprenticeship I have learnt a great deal of skills i.e how to configure routers, or how to find a break in a piece of fibre and fix it. I am always busy, every day, and the work is never boring.

I have learnt many new skills in my 9 months with the company, and am on track to learn many more. My apprenticeship withholds a few qualifications as well which will set me up for greater opportunities in the future.

I enjoy everything about the programme; from meeting my fellow apprentices and progressing through our journies together, to getting hands on with jobs every day.

4. How valued do you feel by Virgin Media?

Virgin Media is a company that values their employees highly and I personally feel as if that statement is very true.

At first everyone was a bit confused about what was going on with our programme, because Virgin Media wanted to try a new style of Apprenticeship for us. But it wasn't too long before we were put on track for great things. It is now very well structured and organised.

We receive a good amount of support from our training providers, and if they are not around to help there will always be someone else to turn to.

We receive good support from our employer. They stay on top of our needs consistently.

It just about meets my needs, and there is always chance to go up in pay.

Seeing as Virgin Media is a huge company globally and has lots of partners, there are a great number of opportunities outside of work.

9. Would you recommend Virgin Media to a friend?

I didn't really know what I wanted to do before joining the company, but since being here I can't really think of anything else I would rather do with my career!

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Virgin Media?

Be yourself. Don't lie about anything that you think might edge you towards having a better chance at getting the job. Virgin Media aren't looking for the smartest, most qualified person! After all, it is a apprenticeship, in which you will learn everything you need!