overhead-lines apprentice at Network Rail

May 2018

Connect with Network Rail

7.1/10

Job title: Overhead-line engineering apprentice

Assigned to a team and follow their work rota, daily tasks involve going on patrols both during the day time and night time, able to learn a lot quick as you come across many different faults.

During my short time on the railway I have learnt a lot about the infrastructure of the railway and the responsibility's of Network rail. I have been on several training courses so far, one including my "working at heights" training, allowing to work safety at heights.

I enjoy working as part of a team and I see this as a career for life

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

i feel valued as an employee however i do feel the overall organization of the company could be improved

The organization of the apprenticeship program i feel is very good, for example i have my timetable for next years training courses, this enables me to plan around these.

During my time at Westwood the tutors were very helpful and always helped students who asked for help with assignments. The attitude of the people i work with is very good and we are all treated as equals.

i received emails regular informing me of upcoming work and online documents showcasing information on certain tools and machinery.

As an apprentice our salary is not too good when compared to other apprenticeships

i recently played in a work football game where two departments played each other.

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

Good career, pays a lot (when qualified), provides job stability, meet lots of new people, spend time in different parts of the country for training purposes.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

research network rail, for example up coming projects and a brief understanding of how network rail functions.