Cost Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Lemington
Degree Apprenticeship
May 2018

5.8/10

My role is as a cost engineering degree apprentice. This involves analysis of products to evaluate the production methods in order to make should costs to use in negotiations. This involves meeting engineers who are responsible for the commodity as well as the buyer who will negotiate with suppliers.

In my time I have attended training courses to improve my skills in useing Excel as well as cost estimation systems such as CAPPe. I have also learned to use CAD technology to view products with no physical prototype. My presentation skills have also significantly improved though various experiences presenting my work back to senior engineers.

Senior cost engineers I have worked with are very experienced and are more than willing to help where possible. I don't feel i enjoy it however, the job role i applied for and the one I revived were very different and Is completely different to how i expected.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 7 roles at Jaguar Land Rover

Internally in the Cost engineering department I feel highly valued for the extensive work I have done. However, wider into the business I feel that the CE department is not well received and as an apprentice of such a department my value is understated.

Within the workplace, the structure of my work is very clear and managers and mentors have always helped me organise work to meet deadlines when I require. However, The academic side is very disorganized with large periods where there are no assignments and periods where multiple are expected on top with no additional aid provided. The syle of tutoring can vary massively as well and lead to confusion and information not being presented we needed or missinformation

Support is given but can vary massively between tutors and classes. Some tutors are more than happy to discuss issues and help though them. Some feel offended when questions are asked.

Support from my employer is readily available for work based subjects and I have had many good sessions with mentors to discuss work. However, when dealing with academic issues at work, many don't believe they are work issues and that all academic work should be completed in academic time or in our own time which is an unreasonable request due to our workload.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 7 roles at Jaguar Land Rover

My salivary meets the demand of my costs and I do have money at the end of the month for my own pocket. But I do have to rent a house, own a car as well as all the regular expenses so costs are quite high and does take a significant chunk of my pay away.

Opportunities are provided and various company activities are put on which are great. Some arn't available to apprentices and due to the scheduling of classes it can be difficult to organised outside work of your own but its not impossible.

While I feel the apprenticeship has its issues, it is still a good opportunity that I am earning though. However, I would give caution when doing so about the workload and disorganization.

While an option of which role you go into is given, it is highly unlikely you will get that role so you must be comfortable with that and that you may be given a completely different role.