Project Planer at Laing O'Rourke

Central London & City
Sponsored Degree Programme
May 2018

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

My current role comprises of analyzing designs, specifications and client briefs to produce a programme of works that identifies all the processes required to complete a construction project.

My communication skills, presentation skills and analytical skills have increased during my time in this current role. I have learned to understand the detail of a particular subject, condense it down into manageable sizes and communicate it to the team succinctly.

I really enjoyed the school leavers programme, I allowed me to learn whilst earning a wage and get exposure on lots of different projects for the business.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I have had a number of line managers in the past few years with different management styles. Most of them give praise and appreciation when it is due which makes a massive difference.

The programme was organized throughout the 5 five year programme. It included a CIOB accredited degree, in-house training days targeted specifically at the companies values.

There was multiple opportunities throughout the year to receive support from the programme team. Sometimes you have to go looking for the support as people are sometimes busy with their day job. Generally people have time for you when you are honest with them

There is support throughout the business including line managers, functional managers and HR managers. There is also opportunity to have a mentor. They were particularly helpful throughout the programme, provided support when I needed it.

Laing O'Rourke has structure reward package throughout the programme so long as certain requirements are met. My current package is competitive and appropriate to my responsibilities and location.

There is a weekly football team in the head office which is a good chance to meet others. There is also a good social aspect to the job particularly with lots of graduates in Central London.

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

Laing O'Rourke provides the opportunity for school leavers to earn a wage while learning on the job. It is at the forefront of the future of construction methodology, has opportunities to work in a number of businesses, projects and locations. It is committed to developing its staff through numerous development programmes.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

Review the company beforehand in order to understand what Laing O'Rourke is currently doing and where it wants to be. This will give you the confidence in your interviews. If you are successful always ask questions when you are unsure on anything.