Apprentice Development Engineer at Rolls-Royce

East Midlands
April 2018

Connect with Rolls-Royce

Development apprentice I do several placements around the business in Development at roll-Royce. my current attachment is in development functional. This team deal with a lot of the testing we perform n engines, the team alters the software on the engine both before and during tests to make the engine behave in way we need for testing. this involved communication between Systems Design (usually performance) for predictions for the engine and talking to controls who program the engines computers.

Currently doing a BTEC level 3 in Engineering, followed by a Degree to Uni of Derby. I also perform an NVQ Level 3. i have attended many training courses for specialist software, drawing and on Gas Turbines.

working with and on Turbo Fan engines, especially the testing aspect. the people who we work with are excellent and truly are some of the best of best the world can offer.

4. How valued do you feel by Rolls-Royce?

you're valued at every level of the business, from the training centre to each business function with in the business. people outside of the business can't help but ask how it is to work for Rolls-Royce

the apprenticeship is very well thought out. although Derby College who deliver the BTEC is very poorly done.

As much as we need, if anyone is struggling, there is help everywhere within the business, from tutors to training courses.

as before

Im a special case having a young family, but still very competitive in the industry, it rises quickly with time.

there is many opportunity's out side of work both official and unofficial. STEM Activities is a big part of the apprenticeship, giving you opportunities to travel the country if you wish

9. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend?

your career is set out for you, you just have work hard and finish your qualifications. they pay for the degree, rather than getting in debt.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce?

emphasise on team work you've done previously, such as school/community projects etc. show that you have a passion for engineering and aviation and show off what you know.